Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Random Recollection...

I don't know what made me think of this today...

but I couldn't help but have a recollection of the day we brought X home.

We carefully put him in his carseat trying to be so gentle so we wouldn't break him. We put all sorts of padding around him to make him secure.

I remember how he was slumped over to one side and being swallowed up by his oversized homecoming outfit and hat. I kept worrying that he was going to break his neck as we went over the slightest bumps on the car ride home. I scolded A for driving too fast, when he was really only going 30 mph.

I also remember that we stopped at McDonald's that day and I got a cheeseburger, Coke and a McFlurry. Three things that I did not allow myself to have on a regular basis during the pregnancy. The meal of champions.

For some reason, that first meal after getting out of the hospital felt so liberating. Like I was back to my old self. I had no idea just what I was in for quite yet. I was in limbo between pregnancy and motherhood and I guess that meal just sticks out in my head as a symbol of my transition. I wasn't home yet, so I didn't have to face the responsibility.

Odd memory, I know.

Maybe it's because I haven't eaten all day, and I'm craving a cheeseburger.

No comments: